Friday, January 3, 2014

Natalie Resolves To...

Happy New Year! The pictures are from my birthday and from a snowy night walk earlier this week!
















I love the promise that a new year brings, and like most of the world, I typically spend the first couple of weeks in the new year trying to figure out what my resolutions are. And each year I come up with them, work really hard for a few weeks or even months, and then stop. To combat that pattern this year, I'm not going to make a list of goals such as loosing 10 lbs, or working out everyday. Instead, I'm going to try to make lifestyle changes.

1. Try harder.
Sometimes I think I just go through the motions. And this includes working out, my job, and my friends. I feel like I've been a rather shit friend lately. I need to put in more effort to call and text and spend time with my friends. I feel as though I've maybe taken advantage of the fact that they will always be there for me and I know that I can't continue that. I also want to try harder when I'm at the gym. Instead of going every single day and only half-assing it, when I'm there I'm going to try a lot harder and put in more effort. When I put in more effort and try harder, I am usually much more excited about the results and that goes for every aspect of my life.

2. Spend more time on the things that make me happy.
I have a tendency to please everyone around me. This year I'm going to try to do more of the things that make me happy. Reading, cooking, sleeping! This also includes saying "no" to the things that don't make me happy or that I don't have time for. I think I've been pretty good at this lately, but I want to continue it. I've realized recently that this is my life and I need to be doing the things that make me happy. And if going to a certain event or spending time with certain people isn't something I'm going to enjoy, then I'm going to politely decline. This may make me seem like a selfish person, but again, this is my life, not my parents or my families, and I need to be happy with the things that I do, and the people that I'm with.

3. Be more adventurous.
We all get into ruts and this year I want to branch out. I want to try yoga, cooking classes and a few restaurants that have been on my list to hit, but I just haven't gotten to them yet. I'm still building a list of these things, but yoga is going to quickly be crossed off. I signed up for a class on Sunday! Wish me luck... I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to get out of bed on Monday.

4. Be more organized. 
I am terrible at staying organized. Sure, everything has a place, but at the end of the day, I tend to just throw everything around and not put it back. When I get in a cleaning mood, there's nothing that can stop me. So, I think I just need to take the extra time to hang back up that jacket I decided not to wear, or make sure that the dirty sock actually makes it into the laundry basket. I think I'll call in it the 60 second rule. If it takes less than 60 seconds to do something right, then just do it right away. Make sense?

I'm sure this list will grow as we get further into the year, but I think this is a good start. What are your resolutions or goals for 2014? I would love to get a few more ideas!

Thanks for reading!