Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Weekend Getaway: Hiking & Apple Picking

I don't know about you, but I had a fabulous weekend! Mr. and I decided to escape from the city and went out into the country to do some very fall-esque activities. 

Y
We started off on Friday with a hike through Starved Rock and had a blast. We dressed for the weather, which was a little less beautiful than we had hoped, and were fine! We only did about 4 miles because the ground was soggy and muddy. And we were just plain tired!


We didn't match on purpose... I promise... We aren't that weird!







How cool is this tree that fell over in a storm? It's taller than me on it's side like that!


We escaped from the park just as it was starting to rain. On Saturday we did one of our very favorite things to do... Apple picking! Our favorite orchard is about a 2 hr drive from downtown Chicago so it's just enough distance to feel like you've escaped. 

They have the most beautiful property with a couple of buildings and barns, a few houses (I assume for the owners) and of course, the orchard. Oh, and did I mention they have a petting zoo? Super cute! And the weather was absolutely perfect so we had a great time!




We started off picking raspberries and got way more than we needed. I mean, did we really think that 4.5 lbs was necessary? Apparently. But they're really good! We made raspberry pancakes the other day to use up some of them and they were delicious!

And just look how excited and proud he is of all the raspberries he picked! How can you tell that face to leave some in the barn?





Next we walked around the apple orchard and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! I took the day off on Monday so we stayed in and baked an apple pie for my coworkers. It was gone in a day! Not to toot my own horn, but it was delicious! Toot toot!


Weekends like this remind me how important it is to get away, unplug and relax. I definitely see more of these in the cards!

Till next time,
Natalie