Monday, November 24, 2014

Natalie's Winter Skincare Essentials

Winter in Chicago is brutal. Wind, snow, -40 temps on a regular basis... All of that definitely takes a toll on my skin. I've started feeling the effects of winter already, so I've rounded up my favorite winter essentials:

L-R: Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser, Kate Somerville Exfolikate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment, GlamGlow Thirstymud Hydrating Treatment, Vaseline Lip Therapy, Ole Henriksen Sheer Transformation and Clarisonic Mia
In the winter I switch out my cleanser from the Origins Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash to something a little less drying. I love Checks and Balances - it's a really great cleanser, but I find that it really strips all the oil from my face and leaves me feeling dry and tight. The Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser is one of my all-time favorites. I use this all year round, but use it exclusively in the winter. It gets rid of all the dirt and excess oil without leaving me feeling like I just took a vacuum to my pores.

I've been trying out the Kate Somerville Exfolikate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment, and I'm in love! I use this in the shower about once a week to get rid of any dry/flaky skin and to smooth everything out. It's ridiculously  pricey, but it works! A little goes a long way, so this small tube will last a while. Will I repurchase it? I'm not sure. I'm all for treating my skin well, but I'm pretty sure I can find an exfoliant that doesn't break the bank. Any suggestions?

Because my skin does get so dry, I've been loving the GlamGlow Thirstymud Hydrating Treatment. I used this last week when I started to get red, dry patches along my jaw line. I used this in the evening and left it on for maybe 15 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water. Then, before bed, I applied a small amount to the really dry areas and they were perfect by morning! I bought this mini size as part of the Sephora Favorites Beauty Unmasked set that came with a handful of different masks. I love trying out the minis before deciding if they're worth purchasing the full size. This one is definitely worth checking out if you get dry, flaky or even red skin. It's very soothing!

We can't forget the lips now can we? Mr. appreciates that I use this, and I kinda like it too! The Vaseline Lip Therapy is one of my favorite lip treatments. I use this in the morning and evening. I put this on right after I get out of the shower in the morning so that it has time to soak in while I'm doing my makeup and hair. Then, when I'm ready to put on my lipstick, this is a really great base for sheering out any lipsticks that might be too pigmented on their own. In the evening, I apply a heavier coat so that my lips are nice and soft in the morning. The tub isn't the most hygienic way to apply this, but I love it nonetheless.

Now that we've talked about how dry my skin gets during the winter, let's talk about how oily it is during the rest of the year. I had been using a gel-based moisturizer/hydrater for eons, and decided to switch it up after thinking that maybe it was my moisturizer that was making my skin so oily. Turns out, I was right. The Ole Henricksen Sheer Transformation is the best moisturizer that I've tried in a long time. I use this at night and in the morning, and it sits really well under my makeup, which is always a plus!

About once a month I'll pull out my Clarisonic Mia with the Delicate brush head. I use this with the Aveeno foaming cleanser and follow up with a generous amount of the Sheer Transformation. This is great for smoothing my skin, a deep cleanse and it perks up my skin!

I hope this was helpful! I rely on these products so much during the winter and so far, they haven't failed me. What do you use in the winter to keep your skin healthy and hydrated?